Benefits of Kesar
Pregnancy is the most beautiful gift that married women cherish for and utmost care is taken of the diet during pregnancy. The elders knowing very well the benefits of Kesar (Saffron) always insist pregnant mothers to include this wonderful spice in their daily diet. Usually it is taken with the milk. The world’s costliest spice is the most sought after product by pregnant women who want to give all the best things on earth to the baby in their womb. Wonder why? The below list of medical benefits of Kesar (Saffron) explains it all.
- Get your Iron levels up: Pregnant women are usually anaemic. That is why when you get pregnant, your OB/GYN tells you to consume food rich in iron. Foods like Pomegranate, Jaggery etc. Saffron is replete with iron and can help boost your haemoglobin levels. It is best to consume saffron in food to ensure optimal results. Since you’re now eating for two, it’s even more important to have additional iron in your diet. A great way to get extra iron is to eat saffron. Optimal results are experienced when eating saffron with an iron-rich food, and since it’s packed with iron, it will help boost your haemoglobin levels quickly, too.
- Busts mood swings:Hormonal surges during pregnancy can make you cranky and impulsive. Saffron acts as an anti-depressant for those teary, gloomy days by boosting blood flow to brain which produces serotonin, a hormone which will definitely raise your spirit. Next time you feel jittery about your body image, grab a bite of saffron-dashed snack!
- Reducing blood pressure:Just 3 to 4 stands of saffron in milk would help to reduce the blood pressure in pregnant women. Saffron relaxes the muscles and acts as a uterine stimulant.
- Aids digestion:Constipation, gas and bloating are very common complaints during the gestation period. Saffron promotes blood flow to the digestive system and increases metabolism. Milk is recommended for high protein and calcium, but may not be easily digested by everyone. Saffron helps in digesting milk too.
- Curbs morning sickness:These exquisite strands fight nausea and dizziness – your daily fiends during pregnancy. So ditch your usual English Tea and start sipping the amazingly flavoured Saffron Tea!
- Soothing:Our very own Kesar is a natural painkiller and has anti-spasmodic properties. It relaxes muscles and relieves joint/stomach pain. Say bye bye to those pesky cramps!
- Combats anaemia:Most women are anaemic. Saffron is loaded with iron and essential for formation of red blood cells. Regular intake of saffron in the food will boost haemoglobin in blood.
- Keeps heart diseases at bay:With those untimely hunger pangs and food cravings for ultimate junk like cheese burst pizza or double chocolate Belgian ice cream – you cannot ignore the tons of calories and fat going in the tummy! With high antioxidants, potassium and crocetin contents, saffron protects you and your baby’s heart by reducing cholesterol and triglycerides. In short, keeps your arteries free from fat deposits.
- Promotes sleep:Those are the nights spent tossing and turning or watching TV to sleep. Try having a warm cup of saffron milk or tea before bed. It works as a mild sedative.
- Relieves sore gums:With your body becoming sensitive with pregnancy, brushing can become a daunting task. Grind the saffron strands and massage it on your gums to relieve pain and avoid any more blood with the brush.
- Fights allergies:You are more prone to allergies during pregnancy. Saffron infused milk will soothe cough, asthma, allergies and relieve congestion. Applying the paste of sandalwood and saffron is said to bring down fever. Go natural!
- Aids hair growth:Hair fall is another concern during pregnancy. Saffron to the rescue! Apply a paste of liquorice, milk and saffron to the balding spots and see the difference!
- Beats the zits:With hormonal imbalance, pimples and darkened skin is nothing new. Saffron is a blood purifier and will help combat these.
- Baby Movement:A pregnant woman can feel her baby move the moment she has a glass of saffron and milk. As the body heat increases with saffron, you can feel your baby move. However, never take large quantities of saffron and note that baby movements can be felt only after months
- Stomach Ache: Saffron helps in increasing the milk production and get rid of stomach ache problems. The anti-spasmodic effect that is present in it plays a key role in preventing the stomach ache.